Our friend and fellow-Hobbledehoy Wayne Cresser contributes the latest installment from his terrific weekly radio program, Picture This.
This week, Wayne further explores Jazz at the Movies, leading with a few choice cuts from crime movies, notably 1955’s “Pete Kelly’s Blues.” (The Hobbledehoy goes cuckoo for anything sung by Peggy Lee!)
There’s also music composed by Michel LeGrand, the great Duke Ellington and Herbie Hancock, and more. Dig it.
- “Hero to Zero” and Main Title from Anatomy of a Murder composed by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn
- Title Theme from Paris Blues, composed by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn
- “Strollin’ Blues” from Touch of Evil, composed by Henry Mancini
- “Pete Kelly’s Blues” from Pete Kelly’s Blues, written by Pete Heindorf and Sammy Khan and performed by Ella Fitzgerald
- “Alfie’s Theme Differently” from Alfie, composed and performed by Sonny Rollins
- “Alfie” from Alfie, composed by Burt Bacharach and Hal David performed by Cher
- Medley: Blues/La Dolce Vita Nobili from La Dolce Vita composed by Nino Rota
- “Sugar” (That Sugar Baby of Mine) from Pete Kelly’s Blues, composed by Edna Alexander Maceo Pinkard and Sidney Mitchell, performed by Peggy Lee
- Main Title from New York New York composed by John Kander, performed by Ralph Burns
- “Flip the Dip” from New York, New York, composed by George Auld, performed by Ralph Burns
- “Movin’” from Hear My Song, composed by John Altman and Adrian Dunbar, performed by John Altman
- “Song of the Twins” from The Young Girls of Rochefort, composed by Michel LeGrand, lyrics by Jacques Demy, and performed by Anne Germain and Claude Parent
- “When I Fall in Love” from Good Luck and Good Night, composed by Victor Young, performed by Dianne Reeves
- The Theme from Route 66, composed and arranged by Nelson Riddle
- “Bring Down the Birds” from Blow-Up, composed and performed by Herbie Hancock
- “Chan’s Song (Never Said)” from ‘Round Midnight, co-written by Herbie Hancock and Stevie Wonder
- “Farewell My Lovely” from Farewell My Lovely, composed by David Shire
For the complete playlist from this and other episodes, proceed to Wayne’s blog Mischief Time
“Picture This” airs Monday evenings on WRIU: 90.3 FM the radio station for the University of Rhode Island. You can hear live streaming at wriu.org.